Monday, September 15, 2014

Big Brother AU/UK are a-ok, US is meh



So i admit quite freely that I am a Big brother Lover.
No shame here, I've loved it from day one, the moment i saw the first season in Australia. I love the social experiment aspect of the show. I love seeing how people mingle, how relationships form. I'm not watching a "competition" in my head, I'm watching a real life soap opera and its tacky at times and its lame at times, but I LOVE IT!

I was introduced to the UK and US version of Big Brother by a mate and discovered it could be watched online (Every season back to the begining OMG! lol) and so I started with a season of the UK show.

The UK show reminded me of the Aussie version but there was a bit more game play.THEY HAD A SMOKING AREA! Oh my gosh that was a shock and a good one. In the aussie show, they cant smoke! They also showed a lot of swearing and juicy stuff and i felt like i was watching a really cool adult orientated realty show. This is how i wished our version could be. Less censoring, more adult content. The UK show works well and I really like their crazy house!

Then i watched the Celebrity Big Brother and holy crap it was awesome!! I didnt know all the "celebrities" but it was still fascinating to watch!

And lastly i found the US version. This was such a disappointment. In the hour show (which is not on daily) they pretty much only show boring stuff. The US house is totally focused on the game. All they talk about is alliances and strategies and winning and getting people out. They never put the fun intimate moments in the daily show. Its just all about game play.

You dont get to see all the build ups to relationships, in one season of the US all of a sudden these 2 people were a "power couple" and i didnt even see them flirt or anything! I would have loved to be a sticky beak when they had their first awkward kiss lol.

And the worst part is - the public doesnt vote the housemates out. The housemates do. Its all a bit shit. They have a "Head of House" or HOH as they say and that person nominates 2 people and then on eviction day the housemates vote on those 2 people. Throughout the week there are challenges so those 2 nominated people can save themselves. And then when they are evicted, theres no big crowd and big stage and cheering.. its really dull and shit and yeah.. major anti-climax.

And so this year the aussie version has taken a few ideas from both the UK and US version. We now have a HOH from the US and the "Power trip" theme that the UK had last season.

Why are we copying the UK and US? I liked that the aussie one was more about the people and relationships than the "game". PLease dont fuk it up and make it all about competition. There is nothing more boring than watching people plot alliances and crap.. i just wana see them make out and fight and be funny! I wanna learn about the characters beyond who they are voting for this week!

What do you think of Big Brother? Have you seen the 3 countries versions? Have a fave?

No comments:

Post a Comment